Sunday, November 19, 2006

 

A Geek's Delight

I'm not so good at the word puzzles featured on NPR Weekend Edition Sunday's Sunday Puzzle segment. I think I've determined the answer about 4 times, including this week's puzzle.
Name a well-known American city, with 12 letters in its name, containing the letters of THANKS in left to right order, not necessarily consecutively. A hint: This is a city of more than 100,000 people.
This challenge was great for a geek.
  1. Find a list of US cities with at least 100,000 residents
  2. Paste that list into vi
  3. Search for the regular expression /t.*h.*a.*n.*k.*s/
  4. Submit answer
Yes, I still feel good about solving the puzzle even if I cheated. In case you'd like a bigger hint, the answer is a city in California with a name composed of two words.

Comments:
you silly geek. i love you.
 
I just dont get the whole NPR thing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?